Sunday, September 23, 2007

September equinox

Tethered between the seasons, today's September equinox is pretty quiet around here. Much of what's in flower is the second, weaker flush brought on by shearing back an early bloom.

Angelonica, which was cut back hard upon transplanting in August, looks quite youthful for an annual that's been around for months.



Despite only fertilizing once this summer, my climber offers a few rosebuds. Some folks recommend against clipping off spent flowers at this time of year, so that the bushes will turn their energy to producing rose hips rather than delicate new foliage. Each winter, this bush does sustain a bit of damage to young lateral branches, probably the result of my autumnal efforts to clean up. So this year, I am thinking that, as with fertilizing, I should stop pruning after August and instead devote my attention to securing the canes against the winter winds.



The sedums and the salvia farinacea "Victoria Blue" are abuzz with big bumble bees. After summer merrily, merrily . . .



Where the bee sucks, there suck I;
In a cowslip's bell I lie;
There I couch when owls do cry.
On the bat's back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.

No comments: