Over the past couple of weeks, I've had a chance to remove dead sod, dig up soil, and add several hundred pounds of composted cow manure and peat moss to what will become a new bed for drought-tolerant plants.
In the photo above, check out that crazy line of lawn demarcation between last autumn's new green grass and last summer's parched brown lawn! Interestingly, when I started spading and forking, I realized that a big part of the problem in this area is heavy clay. Brown clay, grey clay, beige clay . . . we've got it all. So there will be more soil amendments heading towards this bed. Good thing that it's located next to the compost bin!
Coneflowers and salvia are on their way. Hurray for planting weather!