Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bookending visits to a sunken surprise

Last fall, I wrote about the happy discovery of a sunken garden on the grounds of the Radcliffe Institute.  Back then, the blooming season was creeping to a close, so I promised myself to pay another visit when the seasons had turned.  Once again, quite by chance, I found myself in the neighborhood earlier this week and decided to check in.

A few clusters of daffodils were spread along the banks of the walkways.  New growth--masses of Siberian and bearded irises--was just popping up.  One or two white tulips had launched, but the major volley was still in reserve. All the beds had already been mulched and signs of winter pruning were evident.  The garden is certainly tended with both talent and devotion.


Along one side, a row of white flowering bushes were in bloom. Again, I am bemoaning that no plant list is available.  What are these? Pearl bush (Exochorda sp.), perhaps?  They have an open, urn-shaped plant form and the petals are shorter and fewer than white-flowering magnolias (Magnolia x stellata)--which were just winding up their bloom season nearby. 


Maybe on a future visit, I'll be fortunate enough to run into the gardener.  In the meantime, I'm storing up my questions.

No comments: