Thursday, February 10, 2011

Xeriscaping, not

When I set as one of my garden goals for this winter to read up on xeriscaping, I had in mind the horticultural improvement of this modest dry patch in the side yard.


Little did I know that my job would be sending me a few months later to a place where the dry patches are really dry. Desert dry. And desert big.


This is not a place where xeriscaping or native plants or environmental stewardship has made much traction. The plants are almost exclusively imports: petunias, bougainvillea, mangroves . . . even these palm trees are indigenous to another continent. Irrigation systems are necessary to supply de-salinated water.


The solitary native plant that I encountered was this hardy soul, perhaps Lycium shawii, which was enjoyed as camel fodder.


I had hoped to bring back some photographs, plant lists, and landscaping ideas for drought-tolerant species. Perhaps even a few seed packets would find their way into my luggage.

But, no, nothing.  Though I did pick up a most appropriate memento in the Amsterdam airport on the way back.


Don't look for it in the xeriscaped area of my garden this summer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder why? the side yard looks great at all, all you have to do is to add some creative stuff like paver path way, promise it will look become more greater.

Littleton Xeriscape